Sunday, March 4, 2012

Welcome

Welcome to High Meadows Musings. I have been raising Kiko goats since 2002 on a small farm in the Blue Ridge Mountains of East Tennessee. It has been quite an adventure and I have decided to share some thoughts on the joys and pains of being a goat farmer. I chose the Kiko breed because of their hardiness, parasite resistance, good feet and mothering abilities. The breed was developed in New Zealand and imported to the United States in the early '90s. They seem to have adapted well to the Southern Appalachians. The Cherokee National Forest is my neighbor on the back of my place and is home to all sorts of critters. Livestock dogs are a necessity and we have found the Anatolian Shepherds work quite well. We will be kidding the end of March and look forward to fields full of kids.